I always love making festive, creative desserts for holidays. This 4th of July I hadn’t planned anything yet, but knew I wanted to bake something fun and healthy. I saw a delicious paleo banana bread ‘cake’ made by The Balanced Rose and I knew this was the one I wanted to make!! You will want to take this to all your get togethers from now on- it is so simple, healthy, and yummy!!
She creatively used Rachel Mansfield’s paleo banana bread recipe & topped it with greek yogurt and berries to make a beautifully delicious dessert. I tweaked the banana bread just a tad to fit what I had on hand. I also made my own topping with plain greek yogurt and honey instead of vanilla greek yogurt. You could do either one 🙂
What you’ll need:
- 3 medium ripe banans, mashed
- 6 Tbsp almond butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted & cooled
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp almond meal (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- sprinkle of cinnamon (I really like cinnamon so I probably did 2-3 tsp)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- plain greek yogurt
- fresh, organic blueberries & strawberries (or toppings of your choice to fit the holiday – be creative 🙂 )
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil baking dish. This recipe works in a 9X9, double recipe to fit a 9X13.
- Place wet ingredients in stand mixer. Mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and continue mixing until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips (If you have enough you can save some to sprinkle on top, I ran out)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. I baked for 35 and it was done, a tad dry, so I would check it around 32 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 small single serve greek yogurts (about 2 cups) and about 1 Tbsp honey (or eat plain if you don’t want it sweetened).
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- ‘Ice’ cake with yogurt topping.
- Place berries in flag pattern.
- Cut into small squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
**Refrigerate leftovers for up to 7 days.
Look at that chocolatey, banana goodness!!
I could eat this daily…. and that’s totally ok because it’s full of healthy fats, protein, and no added sugar!