3 INGREDIENT DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BARS
PALEO, ORGANIC, VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE
We love chocolate…. so much in fact, that we have a square every night. Some people might say this is unhealthy, others might have heard this is “healthy.” Good news! The truth is a small amount of the RIGHT kind of chocolate every day is actually good for you!
Cacao, which comes from cacao beans, is full of antioxidants, protein, calcium, riboflavin, magnesium, and other important minerals. This is not to be confused with cocoa that you can find in any grocery store around. Cocoa is produced when roasted cacao beans are processed at high temperatures, sometimes with preservatives added, which greatly reduces the health benefits we receive when eating it. Cacao, on the other hand, is cold-pressed, raw cacao beans leaving all the nutrients and making it a superfood that everyone should add to their diet (in my opinion 🙂 ).
We have slowly weaned ourselves from the chocolate bars with added emulsifiers and fillers. You can find these most places- even Whole Foods (no, not everything in Whole Foods is healthy…. ). BUT if you are used to snacking on a Hershey’s bar, these are a great stepping stone for you.
Our favorite chocolate right now is Eating Evolve’s chocolate bars and coconut butter cups. Their slogan- “Chocolate: It’s Food, Not Candy.” LOVE.IT. Their ingredients are minimal, I can pronounce them, and they’re natural/real/organic!
We are obsessed with these cups that could easy replace a Reese’s (which was probably my favorite candy growing up). We are thankful to have stores around us that carry these cups and bars, but if you don’t have a store near you that carries them you can order from their website/Amazon. (This is not sponsored- just love them!)
Until then, check out my homemade DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BAR! Inspired by
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup unrefined, organic coconut oil (you can also try cacao butter, but I can not vouch for how it works in this recipe since I have not tried it)
- 1/2 cup organic cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp organic coconut sugar (I got mine at Trader Joe’s- you can use more if you desire a little more sweetness OR sub honey/maple syrup if you wish)
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- raw almonds (organic if possible)
What you’ll need to do:
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in cacao powder, coconut sugar, and salt.
- Stir at a low boil until well combined.
- Pour onto a baking sheet or baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Top with almonds or add-ins of your choice.
- Place in fridge to let set and harden for 1-2 hours.
You can make this any flavor you want by adding all sorts of add-ins. Think orange (use orange zest), cranberry or cherry (add dried fruits), espresso (ground-up coffee beans), ginger (ground up raw ginger)…. the list just goes on!
Store in the refrigerator to avoid melting. Enjoy!!