If you follow me on Instagram you probably know by now how obsessed I am with these Chocolate Matcha Oat/Almond Balls. I make these 2-3 times a week, I’m not even exaggerating. I’m actually snacking on some as I write this….. My husband and I go through these like they are going out of style. The great thing is they are super quick and easy to make (I have the recipe memorized and that never happens), they can be eaten raw or baked, they can be made ahead and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to bake, AND they’re healthy, gluten free, grain free (if you use all almond flour), and paleo.
I have made this recipe many different ways with many different adaptions. That’s another great thing about this recipe- you probably have everything you need in your pantry/fridge and if not it’s possible you can made some substitutions.
I have made these for family and friends and they LOVE them!! I made them almost daily on our family beach trip and they were a hit. My family wants me to bring these to our Christmas get-together…. That’s a huge deal! 😉
Below is the recipe. I’ve also listed a few adaptions at the end. You can ‘customize’ these to fit your taste buds, diet, or ingredient availability.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 Tbsps organic, raw cacao
- 2 Tbsps unsweetened applesauce
- 1 – 2 Tbsp raw honey (I use 1, sometimes none. Depends on how sweet you want them.)
- 1-2 tsp organic matcha powder
- 4 Tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk, more if needed
- dark chocolate chips- I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips (Only 3 ingredients and allergy friendly. Free of dairy, nuts, and soy.)
- Optional: chopped pecans, chopped hazelnut, shredded coconut, or your topping of choice
What you’ll need to do:
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a stand mixer, until well combined.
- Dough should be thick and not too sticky.
- Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Roll into small-medium sized balls.
- If dough is sticky wet hands before rolling into balls to help prevent sticking.
- Optional: roll each ball into topping of choice or leave plain. Chopped, toasted pecans are one of our favorites.
- Bake at 350 for 8 minutes for gooey, doughy consistency- our favorite way. Bake 10-12 minutes for complete doneness.
**These are also delicious eaten raw- no eggs so you don’t have to worry about that!
Yields: 8-10 balls
- Use all almond flour or all oat flour. You will get a different texture with each, but they’re both very good!
- Omit honey if you prefer them to not be too sweet and use applesauce only. Add more honey/applesauce if you prefer sweeter.
- Omit matcha.
- Use 1/2 banana instead of applesauce. I had to do this because I was completely out of applesauce. It was good, but personally not my favorite.
- Omit applesauce and use honey only.
- Omit chocolate chips, but why would anyone want to do such a thing? 😉